Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Number 2 Witch of All-Time: The Wicked Witch of the West


Top Ten Witches of All-Time (Real or Imagined)

Unnamed by L. Frank Baum in the original The Wonderful Wizard of Oz book (1900), Elphaba Thropp earned her name in Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (1995) by Gregory McGuire. Perhaps best remembered from her portrayal by actress Margaret Hamilton in the Hollywood classic, The Wizard of Oz, her image changed the face of witchcraft forever. She is and always will be the measuring stick for witches, whether they like that stereotyped image or not.Wicked Witch of the West: Ah! You'll believe in more than that before I'm finished with you! 

Seldom do fictional characters dominate an image in popular culture for several generations, let alone present an everlasting icon of every wickedly witchy character to come after her. That is exactly what the Wicked Witch of the West has done. I’m sure that a lot of real witches do not care the stereotypical picture of the black clothed, wart nosed, and pointy hat witch, but I love it. Witches are just like any other people from any walk of life: some are good and some are bad. Then you have the Wicked Witch of the West, who is scrumptiously bad!


WWW: Ring around the rosie, a pocket full of spears! Thought you were pretty foxy, didn't you? Well! The last to go will see the first three go before her! And your mangy little dog, too! 
Yea, the Wicked Witch of the West definitely put the ‘wicked’ into ‘witchcraft’. Her character was as threatening as any character in any movie I can think of. Dracula? He would run from the Wicked Witch of the West. Freddie Kruger? Jason? They wouldn’t want to tangle with her, either. The thing is though, like a cat, she would rather play with her prey than kill it. Oh, and she doesn’t like dogs either.
WWW: How about a little fire, Scarecrow? 
Like I mentioned earlier, she could be downright vicious. Yea, she could have torched the Scarecrow man to ashes in a New York minute, or had him stuffed into a mattress, but she chose to play mind games instead and just sort of singed him. Great intimidation tactics, right?
WWW: Who killed my sister? Who killed the Witch of the East? Was it you?
Dorothy: No, no. It was an accident. I didn't mean to kill anybody.
WWW: Well, my little pretty, I can cause accidents, too! 


Dorothy surely raised the ire of the Wicked Witch of the West. I mean, she didn’t really kill the witch’s sister, but after her timid, way too polite way of trying to talk herself out of trouble, she became an easy target. C’mon, that’s no way to talk to a wicked witch! The pureness of Dorothy’s character certainly endeared her to generations of movie fans, but it definitely made her public enemy number 1 in the witch’s mind. Poor Dorothy…
WWW: Poppies... Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep. Sleeeeep. Now they'll sleeeeep
Almost forgot to mention, the Wicked Witch of the West wasn’t afraid of using poison to do her bidding. Rather than a poison apple, she used magic poppies that put Dorothy and her entourage to sleep. Anyone see the hidden in plain sight reference to drugs here? If Alice in Wonderland has hidden references to hallucinatory drugs, then the Wicked Witch of the West is a heroin dealer!
WWW: You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting! melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness? Oooooh, look out! I'm going! Oooooh! Ooooooh! 
Ok, so maybe the Wicked Witch of the West and wasn’t so bright after all. Think about it, if you were a wicked witch, and the one thing that could kill you was water, why in the world would you leave a bucket of the stuff lying around?! Really, you would never catch Superman leaving Kryptonite lying around his pad!
WWW: Going so soon? I wouldn't hear of it. Why my little party's just beginning! 
That’s right! The party is just beginning! Next week, on this very blog, I will unveil my number one witch of all-time! Yes, you are more than welcome to guess who it may be, or add your own personal favorite. All I can say is that the number one witch of all-time is really the only witch that could possibly out-wicked the Wicked Witch of the West!

If you’re like me and can’t get enough witches, take a minute and visit my website to check out the details of my psycho-sexual/dark fantasy novel about dragons, undead knights, and you guessed it, witches! It’s called Rise of the Raven Knights, Suffer the Witch Volume I and can be found at http://sufferthewitch.com.



My apocalyptic sci-fi thriller, The Devil’s Prophet is also available at http://thedevilsprophet.com.


3 comments:

  1. Great article as always Paul. I can't wait to learn who your number one is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome write-up! Your words took me back to that very first time I ever saw Wizard of Oz. That wicked witch was pretty frightening to my young mind. She definitely set the standard of witches for me. I can't even imagine who the #1 witch could be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I appreciate the comments! I'm also glad I've left y'all guessing as to who number one is! :)Look for number one on Tuesday, May 7!

    ReplyDelete

And your view is?