Tuesday, October 1, 2013

OMINOUS 13 SERIES: Interview with Dark Fiction Author, Editor, Publisher JAMES WARD KIRK

James, thanks for agreeing to be a part of Ten Questions for Authors for Paul DeThroe’s Dark Fiction Blog!
Paul, it’s my pleasure. I’ve been a longtime fan of your fiction.
1) You have done a lot over the years to help authors make a name for themselves with your anthologies. What made you decide to take that route?
A few years ago I was a member of a social group here in Indianapolis intended for horror writers. At times I sensed that some members were actually opposed to the success of others as if their success was threatened by that of another. My experiences with that group influenced me in more than a few ways. In many ways, they considered themselves “guardians at the gate.” I managed to get banned for life from that group (which is now defunct). But I wondered: what if there was an annual anthology designed sole for Indiana horror writers? From that thought was born the annual Indiana Horror anthology, a book highlighting Indiana horror writers only. And I enjoyed that project so much that I put together an anthology of my Indiana Science Fiction 2011. Not soon after Indiana Science Fiction published, I was approached by my friend Murphy Edwards, author of the novel Dead Lake, about doing an anthology concentrating on crime fiction. I jumped at the chance to work Murphy Edwards, and Indiana Crime 2012 was born. By this time, I had fallen in love with the process of producing anthologies. I so enjoyed the writers that contributed to those anthologies. They became like family to me. So I moved on to more anthologies. My newest anthology is entitled Bones. Some well-known authors now publish through me. I’ve published collections from Scathe meic Beorh, and a novel by W. Franklin Lattimore entitled Freedom Fight. I have two more novels in the queue. I have a collection by Mike Jansen ready for publication. And there is the much anticipated anthology edited by William Cook coming named Fresh Fear. Business is booming. The wonderful Shawna Leigh Bernard has joined JWK Fiction as associate editor, and is producing even more quality anthologies. The beautiful Cellar Door anthology is the perfect example of the kind of work she does. I consider authors I’ve published, and Shawna, as part of the JWK fiction family. When these fine people move upward in their careers, I am the first to help promote their work.
2) You seem to have the ability to get other authors to collaborate with you. What advice would you give to others looking to do the same?
First I want to say that collaborating with another author doesn’t always work, and it is not the fault of either writer. Sometimes voices just don’t match. I’ve attempted this four times and it has worked out twice. So if first you don’t succeed . . .
3) How challenging is it to narrow down short stories submissions you receive for your anthologies?
The quality of submissions I get is actually quite high. Rarely do I get a submission that is of poor quality. I accept work as I go, and my anthologies fill up rather quickly. There are so many writers that deserve publication. Finding a publisher that is willing to take on a new author is very difficult, it seems. Because of that, a lot of great stories are passed on. That’s a shame. If a writer sends me a submission and if it is excellent then it matters not to me that this will be the writer’s first publication. Everyone starts somewhere. I think a lot of established writers forget that.
4) Besides publishing and editing, you are also an accomplished author. What is your best piece and were can it be found?
I think “best” is in the “eye of the beholder”. One of my favorite pieces is included in the Splatterpunk Saints 2013 anthology. The title is “Bereft.” I have given up all hope on the notion that the story will ever be truly understood. That’s probably my failure. Horror is rarely looked upon as literature, and critiqued as such. Folks just want to have fun with horror, and that’s perfectly fine. Another favorite is a Lovecraftian piece entitled “The Rose Garden,” published in The Shadow of the Unknown. I’ve published one Science Fiction story, entitled “Joe” that appeared in M-Brane SF Quarterly #2 March 2011. “Joe” is a story about a dystopian future and one old man, a writer, who brings hope to young people looking for a better world. I also have a favorite piece appearing in an upcoming publication under a pen name. I’ve enjoyed various publications under the pen name. Of course, I cannot mention the pen name as that would defeat the purpose. Smile.



5) I’ve worked with you a few times and have been impressed with your editing talents as well as your ability to communicate ideas. How difficult is it to tell an author his story needs to be significantly changed?
This action is not at all difficult. Respecting a writer and his or her work goes a long way in communicating such ideas. I take the time to point out certain problems, suggest ideas for revision, and offer the writer the opportunity to re-submit. Nine out ten times this is a successful operation.
6) You founded Splatterpunk Saints FB Group as a way to help other authors collaborate and navigate the publishing world. Are you satisfied with how it’s grown?
Todd Card founded Splatterpunk Saints. He invited me to serve as Vice President. We shared similar experiences with the group mentioned above. We were both on the same page. We wanted to HELP writers achieve their highest ambitions. Unfortunately, Todd became ill and had to step away. It is my sincerest hope that I am achieving his dream.
7) Which do you prefer writing? Short stories or novels? Why?
My editing and publishing duties take up about ten hours a day. So I write short stories. If I didn’t have so many duties as editor and publisher, I quite likely would write only short stories. I love both the simplicity and complexity of the short story.
8) With so many different stories crossing your path, how do you keep your own ideas fresh and original?
My stories are so odd that keeping my voice is no problem.
9) If one of your stories could be made into a movie, which one would it be and why?
Without hesitation I was say “Joe.” “Joe” comments upon the worth and value of the old because they remember the past.
10) You seem to be a generally open person. Sometimes you relay your own political beliefs publically. Do you ever fear a backlash from potential readers who cannot be open minded enough to see the positive benefits of a good debate?
No.
11) What anthologies do you plan to release in the near future?
Currently I’m working on a Bizarro novel by Scathe meic Beorh. I also have collections by Mike Jansen and Alex Stephens in the works. I also have a novel by David Greske in line. Much to do. Shawna Leigh Bernard is working on anthologies: Cellar Door Volume II and Ugly Babies. The response to Ugly Babies has been so excellent that we foresee a Ugly Babies Volume II.
12) What project (s) are you working on as James Ward Kirk, the author?
I have a short story I’m working on, a prequel to the story I mentioned earlier appearing under a pen name. I plan to take a break from publishing in November and December and shoot some truly odd work out there for publishers and editors to scratch their heads over.
13) With a name like James Kirk, I have to ask, are you a trekkie?
I am a fan of the original TV series and the movies with the original cast. My first love as a reader was science fiction.
Thanks for participating in OMINOUS 13, James!
Links:




Bio:  James Ward Kirk lives in Indianapolis with his wife of twenty-three years, the artist Monica M. Kirk.  They share space with a mean Chihuahua named Lucy.  James has lived many lives.  He’s taught literature and composition at Indiana University at Indianapolis.  He joined the Marine Corps in 1977.  James grew up in the foothills of the Appalachia Mountains and among the lakes of Northern Indiana.  He loves horror films.  He hated the series finale of Dexter.


1 comment:

And your view is?