Tuesday, October 15, 2013

OMINOUS 13 SERIES: Interview with ALEX S. JOHNSON (Bizzaro/Dark Fiction Author, Editor, Publisher)

13 Ominous Questions with Alex S. Johnson


Alex, thanks for appearing on my dark fiction author interview series, Ominous 13! Congratulations are in order for the news of your upcoming novel, Bad Sunset, being published by Chupa Cabra House. What are the details?

Thank you for having me, Paul. Bad Sunset started out as my own take on Western movies, which I've been a lifelong fan of. I love watching Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and other genre veterans doing their thing. There's this kind of monolithic quality to the classic Western--it's so simple, you have good and evil facing each other down in a shootoff, corrupt or nonexistent law enforcement, grotesque villains and stylish heroes, or antiheroes. Sergio Leone's spaghetti Westerns take those elements to a cartoon place, stylized and fluid, like pop art. The gunfights are slower, the hats are bigger, the action is ritualized to the point of absurdity. With Bad Sunset I took those elements and exaggerated them even further, with a little help from watching Alejandro Jodorowsky's movies like El Topo, which is a completely nonlinear, psychedelic mindfuck of a film--a Western only in a very limited sense, more of a journey through symbolic/ritual space along alchemical lines. I had a lot of fun developing characters like El Brujo, who is a bit of a Jodorowskian trickster figure, this ancient shaman who rides a salamander; the Christo Kid, who is basically a pop culture Jesus turned revenger/gunfighter; his girlfriend, the Contessa Von Pussystein, who is really Satan, as well as various sidekicks and weird minor characters like Jabber Jaws. Bad Sunset is an exploration of all the Western tropes we know and love, with tongue firmly placed in cheek. By total coincidence, it will be released on my birthday, which is Halloween. Couldn't have asked for a better B-Day present!

I met you by chance when an E-zine (The Shwibly Press) you were Editor in Chief for published one of my dark fiction short stories. By the way, thank you for that! What magazines/e-zines have you worked for?

Wow, good question. That would take me all the way back to the depraved 90's. I was a book and movie reviewer for zines like Midnight Zoo, Deathrealm, Carbon 14 and others, then got sidetracked for about a decade into writing music journalism, which eventually led to gigs with Metal Hammer and Metal Maniacs. Originally, I just wanted to write fiction, but my stories kept bouncing back to me, whereas reviews and interviews tended to stick. I did a number of interviews with horror writers I admire such as Ed Lee, Craig Spector, Poppy Z. Brite, Lucy Taylor, Nancy Kilpatrick, then switched gears and began to talk to heavy metal and gothic rock musicians, extreme filmmakers like Joe Christ, anybody who was out there stretching the boundaries. For a period of time I was associated with these publishers in Orlando who put out some very slick-looking publications, and at one point I was given the editorship of an extreme music magazine called Juggernaut. Which devolved in a fairly nasty fight for control that I won't amplify, other than to say, if you're going to put someone in charge of the ship, let them pilot. They had me rewriting stories to cater to people who didn't necessarily understand or appreciate death metal, for example. It was completely the wrong tack to take if you were competing with authoritative zines like Maniacs. The whole point of putting out a niche publication is that you respect the reader's knowledge and background. I was sending the Orlando folks these fresh-from-the-grille interviews with Slayer, for example, which they literally lost! Ooops. What Slayer story, right? The publishers had no clue what they were doing but they wouldn't let me steer the ship. So the whole enterprise sank. Pity.

To be honest, when I first met you I had no idea what ‘Bizarro’ fiction was. Can you give us an idea of what Bizarro is and isn’t?

That's both a good and dangerous question. Good in the sense that the whole distinction between Bizarro and not-Bizarro-but-just-weird is very vexed and political, dangerous for the same reasons. And then again, I am probably the last person you should be looking to for definitive answers on this question. Rules and orthodoxies make my brain bleed, and I get a sense from some quarters of the Bizarro publishing world of this elitist, exclusivist, almost cult-like mentality, where if you aren't 100% completely committed to serving the cause and given the secret handshake and the password then you're out there in the cold. The safe and chickenshit answer is that it depends on who you talk to. There are Bizarro primers available and these will give you a taste for the particular requirements of the premiere Bizarro press, which is located in the Pacific Northwest. Fortunately, with more and more publishers out there expanding the parameters of Bizarro, fewer writers who are intrigued by the subgenre will be excluded from the party, and that can only be positive. I would prefer to define Bizarro proactively and for my own purposes and say it's a radically transgressive blend of genres and styles, from science fiction, horror and fantasy to magical realism, noir, post-writing, postmodernism and everything in between. The kitchen sink of speculative fiction. It will be what writers do in practice that ultimately defines Bizarro, not what one clique or party line says it must be. What does the word suggest to you? What would you like it to be? Which end of the pencil do you do prefer doing business with? I'm all for a writing mode, practice or realm that allows each writer to revise the guidebook themselves; otherwise, you might as well join the Krishna Consciousness folks and chant the chant, or tongue the donut as the case may be.

What drew you into the Bizarro genre?

I've always been intrigued by the cutting edge. I haven't changed that much from the kid who was totally into Andy Warhol and Dali and writers like Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Jorge Luis Borges, Julio Cortazar, and later Philip K. Dick, William Gibson, Pat Cadigan. Not to mention musicians, whether they be classical composers like Bartok and Stravinsky or the Japanese master of Death Jazz, John Zorn, or Keith Richards or Miles Davis. Underground comic books. Midnight movies. Art, writing, music that develops a cult because it responds to the basic impulse we have to explore what is new and exciting--smashing the rules, mixing it up, pushing the conventions all the way and having a good time doing it. I love that high-octane, adrenaline-pumping place where the wages might be madness or death, but at the very least you aren't stuck recycling the same old shit. (Pauses to drink more coffee.) Extremes. When Splatterpunk came along, it felt like exactly where I wanted to be--in the storm center, crashing the party, or whatever hyperbolic metaphor you like. It's the quality of revolt I find in writers from Celine to Dennis Cooper. When I saw a description of Bizarro fiction as being or corresponding to a kind of cartoon-like hyperreality such as found in the movies of David Lynch, for example, I thought 'Beautiful.' With everything I've written up to now, I've been trying to develop my own style and voice, which is a merger of everything I love, from stupid stoner comedies to John Milton to black metal to acid exploitation films to Kit Marlowe. Brent Millis was actually the guy who pushed me in the direction of thinking of my work as Bizarro, but I'm not sure that it fits any genre, or anti-genre. If Surrealism is forbidden in strict Bizarro terms, for example, that leaves me right out. And happily so, I might add. But I tend to doubt that we would have such a thing as hammer-headed wives and guys with eyes growing all over their bodies if it wasn't for, I don't know, Salvador Dali? Again, it depends on who you talk to.

On your Facebook page, you’ve listed Erotica as one of the genres you’ve written in. What have you done in that genre and have you been published in any magazines like Hustler?

My erotica work has been published in anthologies like Master/slave and Noirotica III, Cthulhu Sex and some other places. I would love to be published in magazines like Hustler but haven't managed to crack those markets--yet. Most of my writing has a strong erotic, sexual component because sex is a driving engine for me. I believe the renegade psychiatrist Wilhelm Reich was correct when he said that a civilization that represses the erotic is in big trouble. I don't mean just sexual acts, I mean the attitude of freedom and pride about the body that we can find in Walt Whitman's poetry, for example. Or in classical literature. Deny sex and you deny human reality. That is extremely dangerous. And I'll get off my high horse now, he he!

You sent me an autographed copy of a heavy metal magazine, Hails and Horns, that you contribute to. 
What was the coolest band you personally met in the process of doing that gig?

Motorhead, without a doubt. I have met so many great bands and have wonderful memories, but Lemmy and Company are just the coolest, nicest, funniest, snarkiest people in rock and roll. They're not just a band, they're a phenomenon. A religious experience. All hail!

You have a Master’s Degree in English and have quite a bit of experience editing other people’s work. What advice could you give to an author on what I call the ‘submission game’?

My major piece of advice on this front would be: submit clean copy. Follow manuscript conventions. If an editor asks for a specific document format, font, type size, etc., do it. Know grammar and punctuation. Use a spell check. Get someone who knows what they're doing to go over the manuscript with an exceedingly fine toothed comb. The more professional your presentation, the more likely you'll stay out of the slush pile. Then, don't submit a story in a white heat--let it sit, look at it in the cold light of day, polish it till it gleams. Read everything you can find in the genre you want to write in. Analyze how other writers do it. Take notes. Of course at the end of the process you may still get a rejection slip, but my advice is to make it really, really hard for the editor to dismiss you. And don't be discouraged if you get a lot of rejections. The best writers have gotten them. Sylvia Plath. Hemingway. Stephen King collected hundreds. Now, do I necessarily follow this very sage advice I've just laid down? No, not always. But let's just say that you can't go wrong if you show respect for your craft and your reader and love everything about writing, including the disasters. Maybe especially the disasters.

Growing up in California and witnessing the thrash metal scene from the very beginning must have been an eye opening experience. How does the underground rock/metal scene differ today compared to the glory days of the ‘80’s?

I find a lot of exciting trends in underground rock and metal today, especially when you see young musicians who have grown up internalizing the furthest reaches of the recent past and cut their teeth on Eddie Van Halen, for example, There is a lot going on with hybridity and fusion between and among noise, jazz, metal, ambient sound, trance, techno, etc. I wouldn't say that I witnessed the thrash metal scene in California, other than suddenly becoming aware of bands like Testament and Metallica. I still remember the first time I heard Metallica. They were the fastest, heaviest, crunchiest band ever. But now heavy, fast and crunchy is just the appetizer. There's so much to choose from. On the down side, I hear more bands that play it safe by following trends and just mixing and matching the most successful sounds, and I frankly can't stand the jumper bands, the stop and starters, that kind of thing. And Slipknot sounds like crap to this fortysomething dude. But phases and fads come and go, and there is always Iron Maiden to fall back on, thank the Antichrist!

You have penned quite a bit of poetry in your career. When you write, how much of your work is about personal experiences and how much is just your imagination?

With my poetry, particularly the Death Jazz collection, I would say both, equally. All of my writing is grounded in personal experience, but certain themes tend to rise and get filtered through my imagination, so something that began as an actual incident that happened to me becomes emblematic of a wider experience or understanding...it's hard to talk about without sounding pretentious. I like something that Steve Martin said once in an interview, where he starts with the particular, individual and personal and translates it into a universal context--Martin called it 'the art part.' I think that's true whatever type of writing you do. Also, I love to play around with voices. Some of my poems are written in the voice of another, real person I know well enough to appropriate, or from the point of view of a character I made up. In the end, the work should speak for itself. If it's artful, it will stand alone.

Could you see some of your poems turned into heavy metal lyrics?

I would love to write heavy metal lyrics. Heavy metal is a constant inspiration for me and leaks into everything I write. If anybody is reading this who needs some metal lyrics, let me know! I've been thinking about turning my flash/Lucid Fiction story 'Matador of Mirrors' into an epic prog-metal song. By the same token, some of my poems would make great rap tunes. Music of one kind or another is always implicit in the poetry for sure.

I’ve notice a lot of similarities between the music industry and the publishing industry, from bad contracts to oversaturation of the market. Which do you consider harder to break into, music or writing?

My experiences in the music industry are all second-hand. As for breaking in, it all depends on why you're doing it in the first place. I saw an interview with Iggy Pop where he says it was only in the past 15 or so years that he's had anything like real material success. It's almost impossible to make money in rock and roll, except for a handful of bands. If you don't do it for love, don't do it, that would be my bottom line, bedrock response. Would you rather write something crass and idiotic like 50 Shades of Crap and be wildly successful, or write a story that is true and meaningful and speaks to the actual human condition that a few people buy, but sustains their souls? The German poet Rainer Maria Rilke told a young correspondent to ask himself, from the depths, if he had to write, no matter what. My answer to that question is an unqualified 'Yes.' On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to pay some bills with writing. What other cliches can I commit in this interview? Follow your heart? But I do believe that if you are true to yourself you will be heard, and published, and be recognized for the right reasons. Writing or making music are two of the least likely avenues to riches.

I’ve noticed that you are true blue professional with a huge variety of professional experiences, yet you have been hit hard by the recession. What is your dream job and if someone who reads this blog has an opening that suits your area of expertise, how could they contact you and view your resume?

My dream job would be to teach English Literature at a college or university. I can be contacted through my email, Trolleydogs@aol.com.

Finally, what is on the horizon for Alex S. Johnson, author?

Several things. I'll be co-editing a magazine with Timm Tayshun, the publisher at Chupa Cabra House, finishing up the anthology of heavy metal horror fiction I'm also doing for Chupa--Axes of Evil--and expect to have a new novel out around April of 2014 title Pudding Spooks Apocalypse. I suppose you could call it Bizarro, although I prefer plain old speculative fiction with a big dose of satire. I'm also working on a couple of other books for Jordan Krall and Dynatox Ministries, including a cannibal story. Those are the only semi-definite projects I can talk about right now; who knows, maybe by this time next year I'll be writing paranormal romance--between Jello puppets, of course!

Alex, it was a pleasure interviewing you. I appreciate your time. If there is anything you’d like to add, like links to purchase your work or excerpts, feel free to add them here:

Thank you so much for the interview and your great questions, Paul!

To order The Matador of Mirrors: http://lucidplaypublishing.weebly.com/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

And your view is?