Monday, December 30, 2013

OMINOUS 13 DARK FICTION AUTHOR INTERVIEW SERIES: PAULA D. ASHE


Hi Paula, thanks for agreeing to do an interview in my Ominous 13 series. You live in the very conservative state of Indiana, yet you are married to a woman. Why do you think that at this time, in this country, which was built on the principles of separation of church and state, and individual freedoms, that gay marriage is even an issue any more?

Well, the USA was not initially founded on the separation of church and state and individual freedoms for everyone; just for wealthy, landowning, straight, white men. Those characteristics are what make someone a citizen, nothing else. Paul Atwood's War and Empire: The American Way of Life, William Appleman Williams' Empire as a Way of Life, and A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn all provide different perspectives on the founding of the country. I mention this just to provide some context for my initial statement. So, with that in mind, its only when marginalized groups (ie. those who are not wealthy, landowning, straight, white men) resist and demand to be treated as citizens are rights extended. So, I think the reason why it's still an issue is because same sex marriage requires granting rights to everyone, beyond just marital rights. Marriage is the core of social relationships in the United States. Marriage determines taxes, child custody, where you can live, your credit score, medical insurance, and so much more. Therefore, same sex marriage again opens up a floodgate of additional rights and protections. The perception (based on the myth of scarcity) is that if people receive more rights, then less power remains concentrated among certain groups. So those groups that are accustomed to having power work very hard to restrict who has access to various privileges.

Youre working on a PhD from Purdue University and currently serve on the English Faculty at Ivy Tech. I actually took some classes there on my way towards my bachelors degree. Great school and a noble day job for you. What is the hardest thing about being an instructor?

Thank you! The grading! It isn't difficult; just tedious and absurd. It's nearly impossible to distill someone's progress with a discipline as ephemeral as writing into a single letter grade.

What is the most common mistake your students make and what advice would you give to clear that up?

Following instructions. Seriously, I wish I had a more…philosophical response, but it’s true: follow the dang instructions! ;-) Even students who are exceptional writers need to develop an eye for detail and consistency.

Can you see yourself becoming a full-time novel writer, or are you content teaching full-time and pumping out short stories and novellas as time allows?

Hmm…I think the more appropriate set-up for me personally would be half and half; teaching part-time and writing full time. Just writing and never leaving the house and staying in my head all the time is a bad idea. I need to have some kind of schedule or routine that exists outside of my own plans for the day. Plus, I love teaching.



I grew up in a small Kentucky town and was struck by lightning when I was eight.  When I was nine I saw the local undertaker digging up a hundred year old grave. Ive been drawn to dark fiction ever since. What prompted you to go to the dark side in your writings?

You were struck by lightning? Do you have a Lichtenberg figure scar? Those are cool. Not that getting struck by lightning is cool but...y'know. Anyway, that’s a great question and I never have (what I feel is) a ‘good’ response. I’ve always been drawn to the dark side. The first short story I can recall writing was about a little boy who lost his puppy and the puppy drowned. What five year old writes about that? I also wrote a story about the Christian apocalypse when I was…in another interview I said three or four, which I don’t believe…so maybe six or seven. I’ve always been pretty sensitive and as an adult, I know that many of my fears and anxieties are worked out through my fiction.

“PDR: No for some reason, I escaped unharmed and unscarred, at least physically. I remember my mom rushing me to the doctors, who gave me a clean bill of health. Lucky, they said. But my mom wouldn’t relent and soon took me to a psychiatrist, I guess because she didn’t understand the new creative side I began showing. Nevertheless, they put me on some pills called phenobarbital. But I didn’t take those long. Couldn’t stand being sedated! At least not until many years later! ;)”

On your website, http://pauladashe.net/, you have some very impressive movie reviews. Is this an avenue you could see yourself becoming a professional at?

Thanks! I don’t think I could become a professional film reviewer; I’ve seen so many more films than what I review and post online. However, if someone wants to pay me to write reviews when I feel like it, my contact info is below. That will also probably never happen. *laughs* Although, I will be reviewing the film adaptation of Elizabeth Massie’s short story “Abed”, directed by Ryan Lieske. I CANNOT wait to watch that movie!

What are your favorite all-time horror movies?

I have a top 20 list posted here for your convenience! http://pauladashe.net/2012/07/07/my-20-favorite-horror-films/
My top five from the list are: Alien, Aliens, Hellraiser, Event Horizon, and High Tension.

You have quite a few published short stories out there. Which do you consider your best work, and where can it be purchased?

Oh boy…um…I suppose ‘The Mother of All Monsters’ is my current favorite, mostly because many people have told me it is their favorite. Also, --get this—my MOM loves it! It is available in the Serial Killers: Iterum collection published by JWKFiction.

You contributed the lead story of Four Ghosts, entitled Mater Nihil. The premise of the four ghost stories involves redemption of some sorts. Excluding spoilers, tell us what about this story could draw us into reading it?

Blood. Infanticide. Magic. Pregnancy. Crows. Dismemberment. Love. Poor hair styles. Gore. Obsession. Darkness. Terror. Parenthood. Malamutes. If any of those things interest you, give it a read. I have free electronic review copies available. Just holler. 

I typically light a candle, some incense and put on some heavy metal music at low volume when I write. Do you have any sort of ritual or prefer a certain atmosphere when you write?

I previously had a very similar ritual as you Paul, but because of my schedule, it’s nearly impossible for me to create that sort of atmosphere without needing to turn around in undo it after twenty minutes or so. So ideally; incense, candles, metal. Realistically; any atmosphere will (have to) do. I’ve also gotten quite adept at drafting while my students are doing in class writing. I am also sometimes rude and will write when socializing. Sorry. 

What can we expect from dark fiction writer, Paula D. Ashe in the future?

All sorts of foolishness. I am subbing some stories for a couple of projects with Chupa Cabra House, so keep your fingers crossed for me. I am also working on a story for an erotica anthology featuring African American writers/characters, to be released sometime in February. Related to that project is another adult-fiction collection featuring LGBTQ African American writers/characters, edited by yours truly. Over the summer I’m releasing a not-yet- titled collection of short stories and novellas; a mixture of previously published and new stuff.

(PDR: Fingers crossed!)

Thanks so much for your incredible patience, Paul! (Paul sent me this interview in early November. It’s almost 2014. Shame.)   

(PDR: Good things come to those who wait. This interview was worth waiting for. Incredibly eye opening!)

About this author:

Paula D. Ashe is a thirty-something writer of dark fiction who only feels comfortable writing about herself in third person. Originally from Ohio, She resides in Indiana with her wife and too many animals. Paula works as an instructor of English at a community college. She is also a PhD student in American Studies at Purdue University. Before that she earned a BA in Creative Writing and a minor in Psychology, then an MA in Composition and Rhetoric and a graduate certificate in Women's Studies, all from Wright State University. You can find her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pauladashe and Twitter @pauladashe if you're into that sort of thing.

Click to Buy Paula's books

Click To Purchase Paul DeThroe's Dark Fiction @ Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your view is?