Friday, February 17, 2017

Sorcerer’s Daughter excerpt 1

Sorcerer’s Daughter excerpt 1
Wicked Witches, Devils & Dragons
© Paul DeThroe 2017
King Ragnar was so happy that the dragon had been defeated, that he granted my father the hand of his queen’s sister in marriage. Soon thereafter, I became their firstborn. As fate would have it, I was to be their only living child, as my mother died eight years later during the birth of their second child, a stillborn boy. My father was never the same after that tragedy, and spent the rest of his days wasting away in deep depression.

At that time I couldn’t accept the fact that I’d never see my mother again, nor know my baby brother. Knowing I needed the kind of emotional support he couldn’t deliver, my dad shipped me off to a convent for my formal education the day after their burial. It was a crushing blow to my already bewildered psyche.

I should’ve been fodder to the whims of the tyrannical nuns that ran the brainwashing factory, considering my defeated emotional state, but instead I found myself rebelling both against their morality judgments and their close-minded bigotries that branded all things differing from the Church as heretical.

I took their beatings like a badge of honor, letting each dreadful blow sear the pagan religion even deeper into my soul. What I learned to do as time went on, was to say whatever they wanted me to say, but to also keep my own beliefs and convictions alive in my heart.

I had no such luck with the monks from the nearby monastery. They discovered the delicate flesh of my tender youth quite early in my seclusion, despite my protests. When I became a whore in my teenage years to spite them and their hypocrisies, they blamed my promiscuity on the fact that I was a woman. Their entire belief system centered on the thought that women are the reason sin is the world today, thus absolving themselves for their own sins against me, and others like me, and squarely placing that guilt on the weary shoulders of the victimized.

I wasn’t having any of it. I slept with anyone who caught my fancy. As my reputation of being a whorish nun spread to neighboring villages, the Church could ignore me no longer. So they whipped me one last time, branded me a heretic and cast me away.

On my way out, I cursed them with every affliction and foul word I could think of. After I called the nun superior a colorful word for rotten female parts, she lost it, plucked a heavy gold ornamental cross from the convent wall and chucked it at me. If it would’ve landed in its intended place I wouldn’t be writing this story, but it missed by a hair, zooming right over my shoulder and landing on the ground with a thud.

Fearing that pitchforks and torches were imminent, I picked up the valuable relic and ran for my life. They gave chase, but the hags were no match for my tireless teenage legs. I found my way to my safe spot in the woods in a matter of moments. The religious fanatics who’d tortured me for the longest couple of years of my life didn’t have the courage to enter Haunted Forest, fearing it was full of witches and unnatural wolves.

I didn’t share their dread. I’d befriend the shadow-strewn beasts of the woods as if my life depended on it. In a way, I suppose it did. I loved the forest. I visited it nearly every time they allowed me to go outside. It was the only place I could escape their frequent beatings, never-ending penitents, incessant demands for free labor and the hyper-driven libido of the filthy monks.

Now I’d call it home. There was really nothing to fear. Sure, there were wild beasts to contend with, but if I didn’t bother them, they likely wouldn’t bother me. I was always good with animals. Ever since I was but a toddler I could communicate with domestic and wild animals alike. It was my greatest paranormal power, my gift. Even the fabled ghostly devil dogs of the forest couldn’t resist my charms. I used my powers of telepathy, as well as my natural animal magnetism to round them up. With a wicked glance I caused the alpha male to submit to my will and the rest of the pack followed his lead. Now, even if the villagers sent bands of hunters they’d have no chance of capturing me.

The devil dogs were nothing more than my ancestor’s hunting dogs killed long ago by invaders. They became dreaded specters of the most fearful order because of a curse laid down by a wizard that hated the invaders for killing his prize hunting dog. After that, most people unfortunate to cross path with these devil dogs died cruel and painful deaths. Occasionally a victim escaped and would invariably spread tales of the monstrous werewolves all around the local villages. This worked in my favor. The Church inspired the current mood of superstitious mania about Haunted Woods, which would, in turn, cause them to leave me to my own devices. I’d take it upon myself to study the dark arts of witchery inside the magickal confines of haunted forest.

I vowed to someday open the people’s eyes and show them that their adopted religion was keeping them poor and subservient. Oppression and heavy-handedness proved to be a highly effective means of assimilating followers from one religion into another. Of course, there would always be people like me, malcontents who live on the fringes of society and carve our own paths.

Sure, mine was an old path, primeval in fact, but the guidance of the Ancient Ones was no longer available, their wisdom a forgotten piece of the past. But the old gods and goddesses were still tugging at my heartstrings, calling upon me to summons them back to Earth. Knowing no other way, I decided to construct my own path to enlightenment, from scratch.

$6.66 @ Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1543010792/




 Paul DeThroe
Paul DeThroe
http://pauldethroe.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

And your view is?