Monday, June 15, 2015

When the Owls Cried…Age of the Fire Dragon Excerpt

Buy Suffer the Witch at Amazon!
I covered my eyes with my hands, but as soon as the first tear ran down my wrist and dropped to the forest floor, I started hearing owls flying in from every direction. I rubbed away the blurriness and saw every kind of owl imaginable perched in the trees, all with their heads bowed. Then the sounds of rain filled the woods. I saw nothing but sunlight peeking through the holes in the forest’s ceiling and knew it was the owls. They were crying.

It was then that I finally understood how great Lori was. How could one obtain such love from wild animals? It was simple. She was their beloved queen. Even though people like Father Cyrus and my son, Gabby, had played with her mind to the point that she stopped visiting them, the owls, like me, never gave up on her. She was too good to give up on.

Giovalde finally showed up with Lori’s ashes. He was astonished as I, at the gathering owls who’d come to share our farewell to her. Giovalde knelt and placed her urn on the ground in front of him. I silently knelt beside him while he sang hymns and spoke the rites. To be honest, as beautiful as his words were, they didn’t comfort me. In fact, they went in one ear and out the other, as my mind was so anguished that I could feel nothing more than cold dread and grief.

I was unsure if the owls could understand a word he was saying, but I was sure their sorrow was tearing at their hearts, as mine was being torn. After a moment of silence, Giovalde stood up and pulled his sword and raised it high. He spoke a few more words and then placed his sword back into its scabbard.

“Do you have anything to add?” he asked me glumly.

“No, I think you pretty much covered it all. But I will say that I loved Lori and I will forever miss her.”

The owls hooted in unison as Giovalde lifted her urn, removed the lid and held it high while he said more graceful words. He tilted the urn downward and a small stream of ashes flew out, got caught in the wind and were scattered amongst the forest. He then tilted it more and nothing happened. Frustrated, he shook it hard until a blob of ashes fell out and exploded into the swirling wind.

Before her ashes could disappear, the owls took flight all at once and made a sphere around the blowing ashes. Giovalde and I both looked at one another in amazement; neither of us knowing what was going on. The owls hovered and started flapping their wings with fervent intensity. Lori’s ashes swirled around inside their protective sphere and eventually started massing in the center. I could see an image of a human female starting to take shape.
Click to Purchase at Amazon 

Click to visit Suffer the Witch Website





No comments:

Post a Comment

And your view is?