Monday, June 20, 2016

Doorway to Doom, excerpt from Nightmare Worlds

Doorway to Doom
© 2016 Paul DeThroe
Excerpt from Nightmare Worlds, Collection of Weird & Frightening Tales

There was simply too much on the line to just let anyone go through the portal. Whenever I traveled through it, I’d make sure that I was only an observer. I didn’t want to get involved with something that could create a domino effect which could make the world worse than it already was.

Take the Hitler scenario, for instance. Of course, one of the first things I thought of was that I could go kill Hitler and prevent World War Two and the Holocaust from ever happening. But that idea was stunted by thoughts of someone perhaps even worse taking his place. Even if I sacrificed my life for the cause, and even if I could manage to kill Hitler, that doesn’t mean that I could kill all the Nazi’s. Going through the portal didn’t make me a super man. I was still just an average human being.

Besides not wanting to interfere with or leave a thumbprint on human history, all was fair game. It was like living in a history book, except it was the real thing, and not just some one-sided tale told from the perspective of the victor of a war.


Of course, it wasn’t all fun and games. I ran into more than my share of sticky situations and close calls. It became apparent right away that my way of dress was too futuristic and strange for folks in the past. If I could’ve guessed what era the portal would open too, I could’ve dressed for the occasion, but it was always a crapshoot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

And your view is?