Monday, June 20, 2016

The Holy Man, excerpt from Nightmare Worlds

The Holy Man

© 2016 Paul DeThroe
Excerpt from Nightmare Worlds, Collection of Weird & Frightening Tales

The little girl ran to her mother, who lifted her up in a huge bear hug, while everyone else in the small, but orderly mob, gasped, then started dancing and chanting in delight at the unbelievable phenomenon they’d just witnessed.

I have to admit, my heartstrings had been tugged as well. The saintly incident brought tears to my eyes, as my mind struggled to accept and understand what my eyes had witnessed. The miracle was simply too good to be true, causing suspicion and doubt to automatically arise, deep within my jaded psyche.

My cameraman finally made it through the crowd to where I stood. He’d totally missed the first miracle but saw the astonished look on my face and asked, “Was it that cool?”

“It was, Chris, it was,” I replied.

“What happened?”

“He healed a little girl’s mangled arm.”

“Was it real?”

“Maybe.”

“Do you think he will do another one?”

“I sure hope so.”

“You must know that the master doesn’t like modern technology,” the frail 
voice of a woman called out to us from just in front of the holy man.

“We are sorry,” I replied. “We mean no harm. The world needs to hear your master’s story. My name is Shawn Butterfield. I am a reporter. The story of this holy man is just too special. It needs to be properly told.”

“I agree, but master is against it. You are not the first to try.”

“What is your name, ma’am?”

“Maria, Maria Gonzalez,” she smiled.

“How long have you known the master?”

“My entire life.”

“What is your relationship with him?”

“Close, very close. I am his everything; his wife, his confidant, his disciple.”

“Well, then you are definitely the right person to talk to, Maria. Thank you. Would you mind answering a few of our questions on camera?”

“I would be glad to, as long as master doesn’t appear and doesn’t become distracted. Let’s walk over here, away from the crowd.”

“What is your master’s name?” I asked after motioning for Chris to get his camera rolling.

“His name is Jesús Gonzalez.”

“Isn’t it ironic that his name is spelled the same as Christianity’s God?”

“I don’t see the connection. Their names are spelled the same, in English, but are pronounced differently. And to be honest, the Jewish and Christian messiah’s name is actually Yeshua. Neither Yeshua nor Jesús is an English name.”

“Is Jesús the second coming of the messiah?”

“No, he doesn’t claim to be.”

“What does he claim to be?”

“Jesús is a healer.”

“What is his agenda? What are his intentions, his aspirations?”

“To heal.”

“What inspires him? Surely there must be some sort of inspiration. Is it political, religious, or perhaps monetary? Does he serve some secret agenda?”

“He is inspired to heal the sick and afflicted.”

“Nothing more?”

“Nothing more.”

“Come on, now, there has to be more?”

“I am sorry to disappoint, but my master has no hidden agenda. He was sent to this Earth only to heal. That is all. He has no political or religious aspirations or objectives. He is pure of heart, soul, and spirit.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

And your view is?