Monday, June 20, 2016

The Blessed or the Damned, excerpt from Nightmare Worlds

The Blessed or the Damned

© 2016 Paul DeThroe
Excerpt from Nightmare Worlds, Collection of Weird & Frightening Tales

Taken in by her beauty, I reached out to gently touch her face but she disappeared. Shattered by the rebuff, my soul withdrew and slammed back into my body. At that very moment, I realized that she didn’t disappear because of anything I had done, but because she sensed a visitor coming.

My wife walked in with doctor and nurse in tow. “I think my husband has suffered enough,” she said. “He’s been like this for two long days. I hate to do this but we must remove the life support and let his soul go to Heaven.”

I’d heard my wife lie before and I could tell from her voice’s inflection that she was staging for these medical professionals. She wanted me dead so that she could collect the insurance money and live happily ever after. How could I blame her? I was the one that worked seven days a week to provide for her while ignoring her physical and emotional needs. I suppose that was why she started having an affair in the first place. How could I expect her to ever want to take care of me now that I was a worthless vegetable?

Not surprisingly, the doctor didn’t offer much in defense of my life; because he didn’t want the bill to exceed what my insurance would pay. It would be so much easier for everyone to just let me expire. Hearing my wife act like she cared so much, when the truth of the matter was, she couldn’t wait for me to expire, caused me unbearable pain, but when she started flirting with the doctor who would ultimately kill me, I couldn’t take it anymore. I opened my eyes, which was the only part of my body that actually worked and started blinking wildly.


“Doctor Philachek,” whispered the young nurse who’d accompanied the distracted physician, “You must look at this. He’s blinking!”

Click to Purchase Nightmare Worlds @ Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your view is?